Monday, January 04, 2010

Meatless Monday

Well, I've done it.  I've decided my love of the red and white meat has been outweighed by my love of a gastric-pain free existence.  Since I had my son I have suffered from debillitating heartburn unless I take a pill each morning.  Wouldn't seem like a big deal but boy, when I forget that pill, even if I'm not suffering at all, it affects my entire day.  I worry constantly, "is the acid about to burn through my chest now?  How about . . .  now?"  It's awful.  Many friends (not doctors) and several doctors (presumed to be doctors since they wear those shiny stetho-thingies) have said I might be able to manage my stomach ailments just through diet.  Granted, this change is fairly drastic given my love of meat.  I love meat. As in love. As in, sometimes I have daydreams about it.  But I think this will be a good thing for me in the long run. 

Most importantly though, I can't go off half-cocked about this.  I need to make pains to ensure I've supplemented for all the valuable nutrients I will lose by not eating meat.  Being a self-(but I think fairly accurately) diagnosed hypoglycemic, I know I can't just omit meat and then not plug something in as a significant substitute.  So, I'm going to seek some help.  Otherwise I'm likely to be back here next week talking about my gluttonous consumption of an entire standing rib roast.   Mmmmm, delicious medium rare prime rib roast.  Yeah, this is going to be more difficult than possibly anything I've ever done.

At least I'm not giving up cheese.  That would kill me.

No comments:

250words_150w BS_Button